It’s been decided! Your little one will be the flower girl at one of your relative’s or friend’s wedding. Now what? Don’t panic, there are a few steps you need to take to make sure she is dressed accordingly.
Traditionally, the flower girl’s clothing was provided by the families of the bride and groom, but today most couples expect the parents of the flower girl to pay for her clothing and other expenses related to her participation.
Here are some basic details you need to be aware of when shopping for “the” flower girl dress:
1. What is the etiquette of the wedding? How is the couple? Is it going to be a Victorian Vintage theme or more of a Rustic Country Style wedding? (include links)
This is a first step that will give you an idea of what to look for and what to exclude in your search for the perfect dress.
Whatever the formality of the event, don’t pick up a long, uncomfortable dress that your little one will have trouble wearing. It will only reflect on her while walking down the aisle and the most important thing about this is for her to look and feel good.
2. What does the bride want? Does she prefer a certain color or a style? Are there any special preferences about the length of the dress, hair, shoes, and accessories?
This is an important step before starting to look for the dress. Do not be discouraged if the bride gives you a long list of requirements for the event, there are lots of dresses out there for you to choose from and surely you’ll find one that will meet all of them.
3. Where is the wedding taking place? Is it indoors? Or is it an outdoor location? Depending on this you will know how much or how little you need to buy.
- For an outside venue: consider the fabric of the dress: cotton and linen are great fabrics, particularly for summer weddings. If the outdoor wedding is to be held in early spring, however, heavier fabrics and a jacket are in order.
- Keep jewelry to a minimum – they might be uncomfortable in a hot sunny weather.
- Hair is important to consider for a wedding outside: you might want to add a hat if the weather announces to be sunny or the ceremony will take place around noon. A nice, delicate flower is a wonderful accessory that will keep hair in place if it’s windy.
- For a chilly season, consider buying tights for her little legs. You do not want her freezing on that aisle.
- Make sure the accessories match the outfit.
4. When is the wedding taking place? What year/season/date?
This will also help you choose an appropriate size for your little one – knowing how fast kids grow, you might want to buy the dress just a few weeks before the event. But do not leave this till the last moment. Having the dress ready and adjusted for the rehearsal – one or two weeks before the event is perfect timing.
5. Are there other flower girls at the wedding? Because if there are, they might need to wear the same dress. In this case the bride might tell you she wants matching outfits and she will probably direct you for the exact dress you need to buy.
6. Quality and wrinkle factor. We know our little ones move a lot! And before the actual ceremony takes place and afterwards for the photos she will probably do a lot of moving too! This will reflect on her dress so make sure you look for great quality material that will not wrinkle that easily.
7. HER – You considered all these factors and asked the bride everything you needed to know about the wedding. Now, it’s time to get her involved! As she is the one that will be the center of attention, she needs to be comfortable and happy with the outfit. Tea-length white dresses with a bonnet or satin bow are standard and sweet, but there are many little-girl looks to choose from.
Being a part of a wedding event is an emotional and very rewarding event for a little girl – she gets to be the center of attention, pay an important role and dress up really pretty.
It is an important event that needs a bit of preparation and research. If you enjoy searching, mixing and matching and making sure everything is according to plan – congratulations! It will be an enjoyable process.
If you are not that kind of person or do not have too much time to invest in this, call us. Sophiasstyle.com already helped a few tens of thousands flower girls look amazing and we will help anytime we can. Our site has an impressive collection of wonderful flower girl dresses and we guarantee that if you’re looking for the perfect outfit for your girl, we have it at very affordable prices.
Did your little girl already been through an event like this? Share your experience with us and help other moms prepare better!