My little cousin (well, she’s not little anymore, she’s in her mid-twenties. But to me she’ll always be little) had a baby girl just one month ago. Since this is the first new baby in the family in several years, we were all more than happy to get a head start on spoiling her rotten. When it came time to pick a baby shower gift, I wanted to get her something practical off her registry, but I also wanted to buy the fun things, like fancy newborn girl clothes that my cousin would be less likely to buy for herself.
Obviously I was eager to jump on SophiasStyle.com and start picking out cute baby girl clothes right away, but luckily my mom gave me a few tips first on how to choose clothes that are both adorable AND genuinely useful. Here are some of her hints for picking out fabulous baby shower gifts that aren’t on the registry:
- Buy clothing at a variety of sizes. New babies grow fast, and those 0-3M outfits will only last so long.
- If you don’t know the sex of the baby, look for options that aren’t necessarily just green or yellow, like these reversible sleeper sets by TwoTara.
- Find out what colors the mom likes. For example, my cousin is a bit of a tomboy herself, so even though she was having a girl, she didn’t want a sea of pink clothes. I opted for purple outfits and a cute little sailor dress by Bonnie Jean.
- Consider picking out a chic diaper bag, because it’s probably going to double as the new mom’s purse for the first year. Little things like having a stylish bag will help new mommy’s feel good about their appearance during those hectic and exhausting first months as a parent.
- Avoid buying a ton of lotions, powders or baby formula. Sometimes it takes a few different tries to find the brand that works for the mom and baby, so it’s better not to have a huge supply of any particular type in case it doesn’t work out.
- Diapers, diapers, diapers. In a variety of sizes. This may seem like a dull gift, but the parents WILL appreciate it. Big time.