Just because your baby is still in diapers, it doesn't mean their clothes & wardrobe should lack style. So keep in mind baby fashion when it's time for those first pictures & dress your baby up in stylish clothes -- you'll be looking at these photo albums for so many times over the years!
Whether you want something truly unique, funny or you're going for a Disney theme, there's a baby outfit for everyone. And even though newborns are already adorable on their own, throw in one of these cute, creative baby photo outfits & you will make your photo album ten times more memorable!
Keep reading & steal inspiration from our shoppable baby & toddler clothes for girls and boys to use during photo shoots (and still reuse for other occasions!). The best outfits for your baby pictures are one click away!
What do you need for a baby photoshoot?
Tips & Tricks:
A baby photo shoot is not much different than a normal photo session, but you will need to set up everything beforehand so you can keep things moving fast - any prep work, like setting up all the baby clothes, will help avoid tiring your baby or keeping them on set for too long.
So if you want to take a bunch of adorable baby photos you'll need to bring props like baskets, bowls & of course, super cute, stylish outfits that are comfortable, soft and weather appropriate.
The good news is baby photography gives you a lot of freedom. So you can choose the best outfits for your baby without having to worry about 2019's trends or fashion. The scenery, backdrops and even the environment will vary depending on what you like. Not only that you’ll enjoy the whole process, but you’ll have the best pictures of your baby girl or baby boy!
We guarantee you'll have so much fun dressing your baby up in funny, little outfits!
WHEN'S THE BEST TIME TO DO Newborn & BABY PHOTOSHOOTS?
Consider at least one photoshoot in the first weeks, because infants grow up fast. Really fast.
Newborns under two weeks of age will be able to pose naked, and won't have problems to change their clothes or outfits, so dressing them will be easier. You'll be able to take womb curly poses, when the baby is asleep, resulting in beautiful & peaceful newborn baby pictures to cherish for a lifetime.
Bigger babies & toddler do mind being unclothed, so you will need to have ready very comfortable & fun outfits. Consider taking photos at 3 & 6 months - both good milestones. Afterward, you can do one every time your toddler (up to 3 years) is up for the task!
Outfit Props Ideas & Baby Poses
Some of the must take baby photo shoot creative shots are:
- The baby comes home photo
- The Buritto Baby
- The curly womb photo
- Same photo every month: take a picture each month of him wearing the same type of outfit (a baby romper would be good!), laying on the same blanket.
- Family Photo. Don't miss out on the chance to take photos with grandma & grandpa, or the baby's siblings
- Inside the Baby's Nursery
- Baby in Daddy's hands
- Crawling and the baby's First steps
Some of the best baby photo props are:
- Banners with different sayings (a welcome to the world message, or with the baby's name)
- Cute bibs & other accessories
- Bowls, baskets or cradles
- Animals: Puppy, kittens or baby chicks are the most popular. But you can even go wilder with a Deer or a Calf!
Cute Outfit Ideas: What Should the Baby Wear for Pictures?
Babies fashion can be serious business in 2019 -- luckily we're here to give you a healthy dose of baby clothes inspiration, so you can dress your baby with style. You won’t get to choose their outfits forever, so enjoy playing dress up with your kids while it lasts!
Here are some of our favorite & best ideas for every step of your baby's milestones:
Newborn Baby First Pictures Outfit Ideas (up to 3 months)
We know babies fashion might not be on your mind so soon after coming back from the hospital, but don’t worry: it's actually really simple to choose outfits for newborn photos, since your little one barely moves, doesn't mind being changed and sleeps quite a lot (those sleep smiles will be the best!).
PRO TIP: Buy all your pictures outfits before the baby comes!
Follow these tips:
- Comfortable baby outfits can still be fashionable. Don't go for baby pajamas or sleeper onesies - there are plenty of stylish options on the market to dress your baby girl or boy!
- Go for a pure theme. Let your baby naked or just with a pair of bloomers. Add extra cuteness with a beautiful flower headband, some delicate wings, and a cute ruffled blanket.
- Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize. Especially in the summer, when you don't want to dress him or herup in too many layers, use accessories like headbands, hats, bandana bibs, or scarves. Bandana bibs are also multifunctional: all that teething drool gets soaked up, and the baby still looks like a million bucks!
- Use the bed or baskets. Take photos of your baby in the bed or in a basket. Put them on their tummy with the head on their hands or on their back. Make sure that he is comfortable and you’ll get some adorable pics!
- Baby wraps blankets. On photo shoots, baby wraps blankets are perfect for newborns. Swaddle your baby in a blanket and it will ensure comfort during the shooting. Your baby could easily get asleep, but this is normal in the beginning of life. So do not worry about photos, your baby would look even more adorable when sleeping.
- Pick soft sole shoes, or go barefoot. If you’re wondering what shoes your baby should wear at the shooting, maybe it's better to leave he or she barefoot most of the time. If you have a special outfit, that will suit pretty good a pair of shoes. Soft sole shoes are cuddly and you can find numerous styles and colors to choose from for both baby girls and baby boys.
Check out our newborn baby outfit collection!
1. Fashionable Newborn Baby Girl Outfits
Check out these fashionable, stylish newborn baby girl clothes:
Baby Girly Stylish Bodysuits
A frilly bodysuit set is just perfect for your stylish baby girl’s first photo shoot. Add some cute leg warmers, matching booties and do not forget a lovely headband with a bow. Your baby girl will look like a mini diva indeed!
Cute baby girl dresses
One piece outfits are easy to put on & take off, so they're great for newborn baby girls. For her first photo shooting, dress up your baby girl infant in a really nice dress and outfit her with a precious headband, sparkly as a crown. There’s no such thing as being too young to feel like a princess!
Check out our newborn baby girl outfit collection!
Two piece outfits for newborn baby girls
Choose baby girl clothing set that includes a pink top and some cute ruffle bloomer. Take pictures from behind and she'll look adorable showing it off!
Newborn Baby girl Tutus
Ooh La La! A fluffy ' tutu will add a charming touch to your stylish baby girl's look. Add a pair of fashionable soft shoes and you’ll have the perfect recipe for an adorable photo shoot!
Check out our newborn baby girl outfit collection!
2. Newborn Boy Cool Outfits Ideas
Check out these cool newborn boy clothes:
Newborn Baby Boy Bodysuits
For the first baby boy photoshoot, you won't go wrong with a baby boy bodysuit outfit. The funnier and colorful, the better. You will end up with a ton of smiley photos!
Two pieces outfits for newborn baby boys
Instead of a bodysuit, you can combine little bottoms and nice tops for your baby boy pictures. He will be comfortable and relaxed, looking all natural.
Check out our baby boy outfit collection!
Baby Infant Outfits for Pictures: Tips to dress them (3–12 months)
- Look into both baby gender sections, so your outfit is not restricted to a certain category. You can definitely mix and match and most importantly, don't be afraid to pick up unisex baby clothes!
- Play with patterns in the same color.
- It's always a good idea to add ruffles.
- bring baby toys. About the 6 month milestone, your baby will start grabbing for toys, laughing, crawling around and he'll also try to stand up! This is a great age and one of the best times to take pictures.
At the 12-month milestone age, you can really let his or her personality shine through the clothes!
Check out these cute baby outfit ideas for boys & girls!
1. Outfit Ideas for Baby's First Birthday
It's happening! Your little baby's first birthday anniversary. Time to save great memories of this special moment. So dress your baby accordingly and start taking some photos!
For both boys and girls, decorate the place with colorful balloons. If you prefer, choose an outdoor setting (the garden or in a quiet park.
If you want to have a party and a separate photo shoot, bring him a great looking cake just for photos. Make sure you share the cake during the last part of photoshoot because he will make a little bit of a mess. He will still look lovely!
Check out these unique & trendy baby boy & baby girl 1st birthday clothes:
1st baby birthday outfits for boys
For 1st baby boy birthday pictures, choose for your baby boy an appropriate outfit - a costume. Match it with a pair of elegant shoes and a bow or a tie. He will look like a little dapper man - now that's a cool baby!
1st baby birthday outfits for girls
For 1st baby girl birthday pictures, you will never go wrong with a pink dress or a tutu skirt and a cute pair of shoes. A little crown should not miss so your baby girl will feel like a princess. Birthday hats are another accessory that will make that big day even more special!
2. Go for Disney outfits for baby pictures
A baby photo shoot cannot be complete without some Disney outfits. All the Disney characters are pretty and for sure your little one will be adorable wearing clothes with them.
Baby Girl Disney Outfits
Add magic in your baby girl pictures with a soft bodysuit feature well-known princesses for Disney. Or make your little girl a princess by dressing her up in Disney Frozen Elsa tutu short sleeve dress.
Baby Boy Disney Outfits
For a smiley photoshoot, transform your baby boy in the best known Disney character, Mickey Mouse. Choose a set of pants and Mickey printed hooded top with ears and he will look pretty charming.
3. Summer outfits for baby pictures
Pretty baby girl dresses for casual summer days
For outdoor photo shoots during casual summer days, you can always choose a pretty dress with a pair of comfy shoes. Accessories are also very important, so a cute necklace will complete the look perfectly. Anyway, don’t overdo and let her look as natural as possible, for more authentic memories.
Check out our baby girl summer dresses collection!
Baby girl beach outfits
When going to the beach, you have to prepare your lil’ girl clothes accordingly, especially when planning a shooting day. Start with a stylish swimsuit with UV protection and cool flip-flops or let your baby barefoot. Don’t forget the sunglasses for protection and a more glamour look, of course.
Cool baby boy outfits for summer
In the summertime, photo shooting your baby boy is pretty simple as you have a lot of clothes to choose from. Even if you prefer taking photos on the playground or at the beach, here are some ideas for your baby boy outfits.
Baby boy outfits for casual summer days
During the hot days, settle a photo shoot of your baby boy in the park. Give him a super cute overall or a pair of short pants and a t-shirt with some of his favorite cartoons. Also, choose a pair of sandals with hook and loop fastener closure that will let your baby’s feet breath. He will move freely and he'll surely enjoy this summer photo shoot!
Baby boy outfits at the beach
If you want to take some photos of your baby boy at the beach, his outfit should be as comfy and light as possible. Choose swim shorts with cartoon characters pictured and a cute sun hat. Don’t forget to look for a high UV protection. As long as the playground is safe you can let your baby barefoot.
4. Baby Crochet Outfits
From cocoon to sandals, there is a lot of crochet items for baby’s photoshoot. Crochets are quite different from the normal materials, so crochet outfits will add that extra cuteness into the frames.
For baby girls and boys photos, you can let your baby naked and put a fun crocheted hat. Choose hats that include long tassels with pompoms at the bottom for a more cute effect.
For your baby girl photoshoot, match to a nice dress or skirt, a pair of crochet sandals.
You should opt for a smooth and neutral background, that will pop-up your little one and his beautiful crochet outfit.
5. Babies outfits with Sayings for funny photoshoots
Besides fashionable photo shoots, for sure you will want some funny pics with your baby. If your little one can’t yet make funny faces at the request, the clothes can speak for him or her. So pick some outfits with sayings that will cheer everyone up.
At this kind of photoshoots consider to let your baby barefoot and without accessories for the message to pop up.
Cute baby girl & boy clothes with Sayings
For your baby girl, choose some colorful bodysuits with a funny message. This will definitely inspire a few laughs. Besides looking cute, this kind of pictures will be great memories for your little baby once he grows up and understands the jokes from the outfits.
What better way to say you love yourself and your mommy even if you are too young to speak? Well, a "Birth Nailed It" message seems to be the answer. For a memorable baby photo shoot, pick a bodysuit with this message.
6. Funny costume for baby photos
Even if it’s not Halloween, a photo shoot of your baby in a costume is totally worth it every time. Just be sure the costume is not too tight or too large because he will probably put a fuss or start crying. And you want a happy baby in photos, right?
If your little one is still a baby, you can dress him up in a cute costume as teddy or chick. He will look beyond adorable and everyone around will cheer up.
Toddler Outfits for Pictures: Tips to dress them (1–3 years)
As your baby grows up, he will start loving cartoons, have favorite characters or even let you know what he wants to be later in life (astronaut, chef, scientist, firefighter perhaps?).
Surprise your baby and offer them a photo shoot with his favorite Superhero theme or his desired "profession".
Check out these cute toddler clothes for girls & boys:
Toddler Girls Stylish Outfits
Toddler Girls Dresses
Your toddler girl will never go out of style with a cute dress and a pair of fashionable shoes. Choose her elegant but also casual dresses for different kind of photoshoots.
Check out our toddler girl outfit collection!
Toddler Boys Stylish Outfits
Toddler Boy Suits
For your toddler boy photoshoot, choose some stylish costume so he can stand out. To enjoy the photoshoot at its best, put him a pair of great comfortable shoes.
Family Photoshoots Checklist:
Before you plan a baby photoshoot with the whole family, follow these tips:
- The baby comes first, so your outfit shouldn't steal the spotlight. Both parents and siblings should be dressed in simple outfits with minimal patterns, in neutral colors. This way the focus will be on the baby.
- For an elegant photoshoot, moms can choose a long solid dress and dads a pair of pants and a shirt, that will complete the softness in the picture.
- For more casual shots, a pair of jeans and a solid shirt it is just perfect for parents.
- The parents should match the colors of their outfits. That will bring a sense of family’s unity in the picture.
- Do separate and together shoots. Moms, dads, and siblings could do some separately photos just with the baby. Also, few picture with the parents and the baby together will be lovely and you will love to look back on them
- Keep your baby close. Even if you do separate or together shoots, keep your baby close to your face. It will give a sense of connection between you and your baby. And that will make the photo very special!
- Pay attention to your baby’s legs. For sure your little one will look cute in every way, but why not make the photos look as cute as it can. When holding your baby, cross his little legs under him. If the legs stick out, it could be easily distracting.
- All the faces to the camera. Make sure you and your baby will have the faces turn to the photographer. When you hold your baby, it could be a little bit hard for both faces to be directed to the camera. For sure the photographer will give you a hand on that.
- Just your hands and your baby. Maybe you already saw a lot of this kind of photos. Dady’s or mommy’s hands and the body of the naked baby. But isn’t that adorable? Black & White should look perfect.
Tips to photograph your baby like a PRO!
Now that you’re all set with the clothes, you need to learn or to improve your photography skills for your baby photo shoot. You just need a phone or a camera, setting the right mood and ...Lights, camera, action!
Indoors - how to take baby photos at home
When your baby is in his first months of life, indoor photo shoots are the best. And photographing your baby at home is not that hard. Just pay attention to lights, backgrounds, and props and enjoy the precious time with your baby.
Light - The light is a major element in every photo. The natural light is preferred in baby photos because it gives a more authentic look. Of course, if you have some studio lights that offer you a better lighting, use them. Avoid using the flash, since it gives hard shadows to the picture and they will simply ruin it. It can also disturb the baby.
Position your baby in best relation with the source of the light. The most common angle for light is the 45-degree angle that will give that special catchlight in your baby’s eyes.
Background. You have a plenty options for the baby’s photos background, from simple neutral backgrounds to colorful dreamy ones. Depending on the mood you want to create, choose bright tones on the background for a happy shoot or dark tones in order to add some mystery into the scenes.
If you look through professional baby shoots, you can see that props (like the baby's name) are indispensable for newborn portraits. That is because props add plenty of possibilities to the scenes of photography.
Blankets and scarves should be the most appropriate things you’ll find in your home and use for baby photos. They create leading lines that will give a nice effect to the photo, especially if you photograph from the blanket’s level.
You can also choose different baskets, bespoke bean bags or even a chair where you should place your baby comfortably. Make sure that whatever props you choose they are not affecting in any ways your baby’s skin or make him feel uncomfortable.
Positioning and angles- When taking indoor photos, you don’t have too much action into the frame, especially if your baby is still a newborn.
One thing you can do is to try different poses of your baby. This will help you to bring more life into your photos. Gently position your baby on his tummy with the head on his hands. This is the most common pose of a baby and it is the best if the baby is naked. You should have a nice view of baby’s entire pure body and also see the baby’s face without his hand in front.
After positioning your baby in one of the poses above, add more action into the frame by playing with angles. Besides a frontal and a central shot, try to photograph your baby from above or get down low. Details shots can also help. Every perspective that is unusual can add dynamics to the photo, resulting a better visual impact.
If your baby became already a toddler, then the whole house could be your photo studio. Little details describing your relationship are also very lovely in photography. So try to catch scene when your child is in touch with you or want to reach you. Also capture natural important moments like when the baby is crawling, taking first steps, hiding behind curtains or clothes. This will make really special and intimate memories.
Outdoors - taking baby photos in nature
Taking pictures outside will give you a wide range of possibilities of cool shots with your baby.
Light - Usually, the best time to photograph outdoor is about an hour after sunrise and around an hour before sunset. This way you’ll avoid the harsh shadow on your baby’s face.
Positioning and angles - When you have already a toddler, get him on the playground. Let him play with other kids and capture the joy of those moments. You can also play with him and have another person to photograph you.
Baby photography checklist for parents
To have an awesome baby photoshoot at home or in a studio, ensure that nothing will be missing. So be aware of few things before and during the photoshoot:
- Before the session, make sure that the room has the temperature of 80–85 degrees.
- Before dressing your baby for the photo shoot, take off their diaper so your baby doesn't have any marks on their skin.
- Feed your baby before the photoshoot. This will ensure a happy and sleepy baby.
- Take extra baby wipes & burp clothes. The babies can’t control themselves, so sometimes, accidents could happen. Be ready for a little bit a mess!
- Take breaks. Even moms feed the baby in the beginning of the session, the baby could get grumpy. So few breaks are always welcome.
- Be patient! A baby session involves a lot of work and time because your baby has to be completely safe and comfortable. So one baby photoshoot could last from 2 up to 4 hours.
Always keep a photo camera close: just in case your baby girl & baby boy will start crawling, making their first magical steps or posing so funny that you can’t help yourself taking a photo! Just because they're babies, it doesn't mean you should ignore fashion - have fun to dress your baby up in a mini version of your style!
Now that you’re all ready for you baby first photo shoot, start shopping a couple of cool, stylish baby outfits, accessories & decorations to make your little kid stand out!
You can never go back in time. Capture the important moments while they last with the cutest baby outfit ideas!